June 26, 2013

Frostbite

When I lived in the country, frosts during winter were a common occasion. The dewy magic became something I took for granted and I saw it more as a bother than something completely beautiful. I remember one year there was a night where the temperature dropped to minus seven degrees. Everything was frozen over, it's been the closes to snowing than I've seen. Our water wasn't working, our heater barely defrosted our icy feet and noses and my fish tank had frozen over, freezing my poor siamese fighting fish called, Angel, in mid swim.
When I moved to Geelong three years ago, a winter came and went again without me noticing the absence of the icicles on the front lawn. It wasn't until I stayed a couple of nights out at Paul's house on the surf coast that I truly saw and appreciated something I never knew I missed. I woke up early one morning, surprised to see that Paul's back garden was covered in white. I eagerly pulled on my boots and trudged outside with the crackles of grass blades breaking beneath my strides. I'd forgotten the beauty and wonder of little ice particles clinging to leaves and rose petals before turning into fresh dew. I'd forgotten how a car freezes over with enough ice on a windshield to open a snow cone business. I rediscovered the magic and beauty of winter.

Last Sunday, we experienced the first frost of the season that was accompanied by a very foggy and beautiful morning. The weather here recently has been lovely. We had a week of rain and sogginess which has been followed by warmer days with sunshine. It's unseasonably warm but it's a more beautiful winter than two I have previously experienced while living here. I took a few photos of Paul's garden just as the sun was shining over the grass and everything was melting. 

11 comments:

  1. you are beyond-words talented. i love all that you do!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful words! I am quite taken with your photos too! I've just added you to my bloglovin list! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your beautiful words! I am quite taken with your photos too! I've just added you to my bloglovin list! :)

      Delete
  2. Your photos are so beautiful! I've never had the pleasure of waking up to frost, but now I really want to. It's probably the closest thing I can get to snow in Sydney...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think most cities/big towns miss the beauty of frost. Luckily enough you live the the blue mountains! I was in Sydney around this time last year and it's beautiful up there during winter (but extremely cold).

      Delete
  3. These are such gorgeous captures. I love frost and fog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing! Frost is one of those things you always take for granted, something you don't notice missing until its gone. absolutely stunning pics.

    Little Blue Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, these are such beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, Your photos are so gorgeous....

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment below! I read every single comment that's posted and reply to as many as I can! Your feedback is appreciated :)